Rock Buns - Recipe



I was given this recipe by a friend about two months ago and it has quickly turned into a weekend breakfast staple.

They're quick and easy to make and the first time toots tried one she closed her eyes and said "Hmmm, delicious". How's that for a seal of approval.

Rock Buns

220g self raising flour

110g butter or marg

110g brown sugar

80g currants

15g glace cherries (chopped)

15g peel

One egg

tsp cinnamon

a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg

Rub the butter into the flour, add the brown sugar, fruit peel and spices and mix. Add beaten egg and mix to combine (if it's a little dry add a splash of milk). It should resemble the consistency of cookies which are rolled into balls before baking.

Split the dough into six portions, don't worry too much about rolling it into perfect balls, there should be a bit craggy. Place them on a cookie sheet leaving room for some spreading and bake at 200C for 20 minutes. Leave them to cool for about ten minutes on the sheet and then just serve with butter and jam. It's easier to just break pieces off these and smear some butter on rather than try to slice them like a traditional scone.

Now that's the original as provided to me. When I came to make them to first time I didn't have any currents, nor did I have cherries, or peel for that matter. I did have raisins and I used those and they were "Hmmm delicious". Since I made them the first time I usually plan ahead now and soak the raisins in the beaten egg in the fridge over night and it makes the raisins lovely and plump. Also I don't bother with the rubbing in, I just throw everything into one bowl and use my handheld electric mixer, doesn't seem to do it any harm.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'm not a fan of raisins. I wonder if dried apricots would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie. I can't see why not. It's basically just a scone recipe using brown sugar instead of white. Apricots sound lovely, I'll have to give it a go. I've been thinking of trying some apple or pear and almond as well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.