WFMW - Flat Pack Tools


Its time again for Works for Me Wednesday over at We are THAT Family.

If you're anything like me and you love Ikea and all things flat pack, chances are you've gathered up a fair few of these little tools over the years.



And chances are that you will need them again at some point, especially for kids furniture.

You know the pieces I'm talking about.

That fantastic crib you bought which can have the mattress up nice and high to make it easier for you in the early days and then nice and low once your child seems ready to scale Everest stand on their own two feet and then, as if that wasn't enough, the crib finally can be changed into a toddler bed complete with low guard rails to stop them from rolling out of the bed.

So you're going to need to be able to find those tiny little tools at least twice, long after you've put the bed up in the first place, three if you count taking the thing down to get it out of the room once your child outgrows it. And all of this over the course of about five years.

So what's the easiest way to guarantee that you'll be able to find exactly the tiny little tool you're looking for three years after you last saw it.

Simple.

Once you finish building your beautiful new piece of furniture and you've finished the bottle of wine necessary to build flat pack, just take a strip of packing tape or any kind of sticky tape and stick the tool underneath or to the back of the piece of furniture.

Only you will know its there, safe and sound, ready for the next time you need it.

Now won't you sleep better tonight.?

I know I will.

8 comments:

  1. For some reason we only ever do this with the baby cot or kiddy bed - all the rest are dropped into the abyss of dh's tool box, never again to be reunited with their piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Hip taught me to do this. It's such a great idea. I don't have any Ikea but it works great for the screws that hold the screen to our screen door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever. When hubby has to take something apart to move it, he puts the nuts and bolts, etc. in a plastic sandwich bag and then labels it and tapes it. That way he went lose it.

    I love your accent! I had a friend from Ireland once but she moved back. She was delightful to talk to and occasionally had to fill me in on the meaning of some of her words. Man could she cook.

    Love the name fairy cakes. Oh, and I think that's amazing that you all actually put coffee in your coffee cake. Which, when you think about it would have the name make more sense. You daughter is adorable and love the curls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Thanks for sharing the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's brilliant! Oh to be so organized.
    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen this tool before - how odd and wonderful! I have a little tool I carry EVERYWHERE its a mini leatherman - you can see it at the following link:

    http://www.smartknives.com/Leatherman-Multi-Tools/Leatherman-Mini-Tool.htm

    I could not live without it, its saved my bacon many times. It was originally a gift from my brother to my husband, but he never put it on his keychain so I scooped it.

    *grin*

    Thx for the share - you're a wealth of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do that too! It has saved so much time hunting the parts and tools down.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do this, but if it's untreated wood, it never seems to stick properly. I keep those in the tiny plastic bags that the screws came in, along with any extra screws, labeled with a sharpie and in the junk drawer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. I love that you stopped by.